SPELLJAMMER CONFIRMED

©Wizards of the Coast

Usually it's reality that becomes a meme. In this instance it's the opposite: finally, Spelljammer is coming to D&D 5e.

I love the concept of Spelljammer, but sadly I've never played it. I've created adventures in it, which are still to be played. I own the the original boxed set from 1989 (it's old as me), courtesy of my uncle, plus other books from the line (The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook, Realmspace and something else I don't recall now).

Being originally for AD&D 2nd, you could have a tough time in transposing creatures, magic objects and player races into 5e, but the spacefaring rules are still usable, pretty much out of the box. Does this mean they are simple? No. So this new adaptation is truly welcome.

Oh, this reminds me that in the past I made a couple of adaptations, check them out:

Kindori

©Wizards of the Coast

Mercane

©Wizards of the Coast

I was not able to understand if they are keeping the crystal spheres system in some way, or if Wizards is launching everything into the Astral Plane Sea. I've seen mentions of Wildspace, so maybe it's some kind of hybrid, but I guess we'll see. Either way, it will be interesting. And as always, no one decides how you are going to play.

Wizards has also released 10 creatures (5 old and 5 new) for free if you sign up to D&D Beyond or D&D's official website. I just took a little peek, but I'm already intrigued by a couple of them. Worth checking out. You should also consider that many creatures that were already released belong to Spelljammer. The Giff, or the Neogi for example.

©Wizards of the Coast

Obviously Mind Flayers and Beholders are at home in the void of space too, as Dragons are. I wonder if we'll see the Scro again... Well, if they aren't included in some sort of form, I will provide for them. And Radiant Dragons.

August is so far away, but maybe I can convince someone to jump in, during this months.

P.S.
I can't wait to play a Plasmoid. Or an Hadozee.

Comments