Now that the dust is settling

The TTRPG community won, Hasbro (apparently) lost. That's one way to describe how the whole OGL-situation ended. And I'm really, truly happy. 5e in the Creative Commons is a big, big thing. But one must always be the judge of themselves, right? So, what have we, as a community, learned?

1) Identifying with a brand or product is bad. Many already knew this, but most didn't and the vast majority won't even think about this anyway. Too many people have only talked about 5e in the last 10 years (it's been 10 years? Time flies), me included. While I kept playing many RPGs, I thought about D&D much of the time. I should've finished and published those two posts about Mörk Borg, for example.

2) Corporations care mainly about money. Well if you needed the OGL-debacle to happen to understand this, you are very young or naive. I'll tell you a secret: these companies want to make money by selling you an hobby. They may be big or small, passionate or cold, trustful or distrustful, but to exist they need money. Your money. We all fought this OGL battle mainly in defense of 3pp, which translated into defense for the hobby as a whole. I support this, but I'm not so infantile to not know that even they were in for the money. I despise everyone who, under official tweets by WotC or affiliates, promoted their stuff. Or in other posts or places marketed their game by dunking on others (this applies for every situation or game, mind you). I saw a couple of these situations and my opinions of certain individuals have diminished.

3) Licences and customs. Actually, a small percentage of people understand them, the rest listen to these guys. Me included. Know that OGL 1.1 or the drafted and then scrapped 1.2 were nowhere as restrictive as other companies licences. The community clearly has some decade old customs, which aren't customary in other fields. The downfall of D&D is due to executives coming from companies outside this business not knowing such customs, let alone respecting them. The TTRPG community already enjoys things that other communities only dream of. We are a privileged community.

4) People will play Pathfinder 2e. And yet, they will be still playing something very, very very close to D&D. Or better, they will be playing it because is so similar. That is completely fine and acceptable. Honestly, Paizo deserves its second moment of glory and I hope that the ORC licence would become and industry standard. I know almost nothing about PF2e and, if the situation presents itself, I may try it (I would prefer Starfinder). But let me tell you this: PF was built around the 3rd edition of D&D. I've played that edition for 8 years (discontinued, but still), both as a player and as a DM. I was very close to switching to PF, but then 5e came out. 5e was a fresh breeze, for reasons that apparently now everyone  has forgot, or never knew. A lot of folks are recommending PF even to people who lament the crunchiness of 5e: that is some evil, evil behavior, my friends.

5) People will still play D&D 5e. I will, not out of "brand attachment" or unwillingness to try other games; I literally storm through the TTRPG section at conventions, because I know that if I stay there too much I would buy games that I don't have time to play. No, I will play it because I like it. Yes, unbelievable. Hey, one month ago the majority of the TTRPG community felt the same way. Which makes me wonder: how much of this community was here for the FOMO and not actually for the games (plural intended)?

6) People will play indie games. Why yes, of course they will. But the common man will stick to a big corporation. Don't be so elitist, you indie enjoyer. Don't be so blind, you corporation enjoyer. You both have much to learn from each other. Become friends and play together. I want to play LANCER. Can someone introduce me to LANCER or do I have to do it by myself? I already have the rules (see my "problem" stated at point 5).

* * *

I guess that's all. I will do better from now on. And so will you. Probably.

Comments